Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Perilous Song o' the Day!


The Aquabats!, "Attacked by Snakes!" from The Fury of the Aquabats! (Captain Thumbs Up!)

Skammentary: Perilous peril! After mowing & weed-whacking this evening, I also pulled up weeds from around the oak tree in the front yard & along the interior (house) side of the new privacy fence behind the garage. In doing so, I disturbed an angry swarm of insects, whether wasps or bees I'm just not sure, though due to the lack of buzzing I'd lean toward wasps. Wait, aren't I confusing my animals here? The R.B.D.S.O.T.D. is "Attacked by Snakes!" & the accompanying image is from the "Killer Bees" sketch from the inaugural season of Saturday Night Live; snakes & bees, not wasps. Don't miss the forest for the trees, what we're after here is the perilous, swarming nature of my assailants. The only "wasp" song in my library, Sufjan Stevens's "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!," despite the title, doesn't capture that sentiment nearly so well as "Attacked by Snakes!" & the predatory predilections of the Killer Bees.
"…The Devil must have opened Hell's gate
And called up millions of snakes
To take me from this place.

"Big ones, little ones,
Fat one, skinny ones,
Protect me from their venomous drug
That springs from needles of fangs,
Attacked by snakes!
By snakes!

"So many snakes you could fill the Great Lakes with snakes,
Ha ha ha! Run! I try to hide,
But snakebites on my faces testify
I've been attacked by snakes!
By snakes!

"So many snakes it would take thousand crates
To contain the snakes after me,
I'd rather be burned at the stake
Than be attacked by snakes!…"
Bonus! Perilous Song o' the Day
Sufjan Stevens, "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!" from Illinois (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: It's predatory! It's a wasp! It's out to get us! Perilous peril!

No comments: