Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Another development of Saturday: I am done with Bachelorette No. 3. I'm just done. During the dinner break, she was breaking down about the same old bullshit as always. So, we went off together to talk. I was doing my damnedest to comfort her, listening to the same crap I've heard a thousand times before (some people just don't believe in progress), when she seemed to get mad at me. She stood up and walked off, and was closed off the rest of the day. Seriously, what the fuck just happened? I didn't even do anything! So, you know what, I'm just done. All I've ever tried to do is help her through her insanely overblown, perpetual personal crisis. How can she get mad at me for that? I don't need this bullshit. I'm just done with her. You know, maybe all of your friends leave you because you're an A-1 nutjob.

The last issue of Batgirl written and drawn by the founding team of Kelley Puckett, Damien Scott, and Robert Campanella comes out tomorrow. I know you guys don't care, but I've decided I don't talk about comics enough. The current team gets the way Cassandra (the second and current Batgirl) thinks better than any of the fill-in teams who've done an issue here and there. Yes, it's because they've defined the way she thinks and reacts, but still. In my experience, when a new team takes over a book, it either markedly improves or markedly declines. The book that changes but retains the same level of quality is non-existent. Of course, maybe it's too much to ask. My fear, though, is that as often as not, the change is for the worse, and Batgirl is such a good book now that I'd hate to see it ruined. I've been reading comics for two and a half years now; it is only now that I'm really seeing how books change when a new team comes on board. Before, everything was new; instead of thinking whether or not I liked a certain team's interpretation of a character and heritage, I just liked or disliked that particular book. Now, it's becoming even more complicated. I mean, I love both Batgirl and Batgirl - she's an incredibly compelling character - but what am I to do if the book starts to suck? I've stuck it out with Green Lantern for over a year with a crappy writer, but now that he's leaving, I'm left wondering if it was worth it. The same chode is now taking over Green Arrow. I haven't been following Green Arrow as long as Green Lantern; consequently, if the book starts to tank, I'm out of there faster than The Flash. I'm just concerned for my darling Batgirl; will she ever learn to forgive herself?

No comments: