Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Genesee County All-Stars vs. Roy Flan
Tonight we face the formidable team Roy Flan. They are all big guys, fast and agile in the water, with the sure aim and ruthless play of long-time water polo players. They are an opponent to certainly respect, if not outright fear. Unfortunately, they don't have a prayer. For Roy Flan has never faced the likes of the Genesee County All-Stars. We are disciplined. We are methodical. We are relentless. ("This is me, in your face all day.") We are not a team of destiny; this will not be an easy win. But we will prevail, because we want it more.

For all my bravado, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about tonight's game. We're playing better ball than we ever have before, in any year of the All-Stars. Yet I'm still not sure it will be enough. I don't know if anyone can beat them. However, I find courage in the words of Erasmus: "In great things, it is enough to have tried." A part of me hopes they just don't come tonight, that we don't have to face them. However, the greater part hopes they do come. It does not matter if we win or lose, what matters is that we step into the arena, that we fight the good fight. This is of course the Teddy Roosevelt perspective. And in the back of my head, behind my anxiety as a coach, is a small voice asking me to have faith in the boys. They have risen to every challenge, they have passed every test. "Have faith in them, they won't let you down." They have amazed me at every turn, why doubt them now? I do not. We shall meet Roy Flan on the field of battle and we shall overcome. When it is over, we will say, "We have run the course. We have kept the faith." And we will be victorious.

No comments: