Thursday, February 27, 2003

A small note to Saturday Night Latham (by and by, his blog is infrequently updated, but it's a good read nonetheless): the proper spelling of my beloved car's name is the Mousemobile.

I worked all day at the Big Ten Men's Swimming and Diving Championships, held this year in U of M's Canham Natatorium. Now, we all know that the Big Ten Conference is actually comprised of eleven teams, yet today (continuing tomorrow and Saturday) only ten were in competition. Why? Because Illinois dropped its men's team in order to comply with Title IX requirements. How in God's name did this happen? I am all in favor of encouraging women's athletics, but NOT AT THE COST OF MEN'S SPORTS! How are we helping female athletes by denying deserving male athletes athletic scholarships? As currently enforced, Title IX is a disgrace, an iron boot under which men are punished rather than women supported. Where is the justice in this? Today, I'm embarrassed to be an American.

On a lighter note, a big (no) thanks goes out to the Smartest Man Alive. Due to a brilliant observation on his part, now every time I think about Q-Girl, I start to call her Q-Bert. Thanks, Jon, now I'm dating a pink Big '80s video game character.

Year One
In this forum, I don't write about all kinds of things because I'm saving up my fury to write about them for The Newsletter. That strategy (strategerie) would make a lot more sense if I got off my arse and started up The Newsletter again. It's coming, my friends, honest, it's coming.

No comments: