Saturday, March 15, 2003

Oh, for fuck's sake! I was going to use today's Animania screening to "break up" with Q-Girl, but she's sick as a dog so she isn't even here. And I can't break up with her until she feels better. Damn it! She called me last night to tell me she was sick and, since she's the club treasurer, fill me in on a few things I have to do because she's not here (I'm the club vice president). Of course, when she called she was also checking her email. Gah, have you no manners? I can hear you typing! Geez Louise, I thought that was tremendously tacky. And on top of all that, she interrupted me while I was watching Generations, which is a far better film than I had remembered.

On that note, the Star Trek films, in descending order of quality: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek Generations, Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, (here is the dividing line between good and bad) Star Trek: Nemesis, Star Trek: Insurrection, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

To those of you who favor deferring to our allies regarding Iraq: Remember 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995? During those years, the former Yugoslavia (specfically the republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina) was racked by turmoil, civil war, and genocide. The solution put forward by our European allies was to allow diplomatic pressure to stop the violence. The European nations would put pressure on Serbia, which in turn would rein in the Bosnian Serbs who were terrorizing and slaughtering their Bosnian Muslim neighbors. The European diplomatic effort worked really well, so well in fact that tens of thousands died in campaigns of ethnic cleansing while hundreds of thousands more were forced to flee their homes. The killing didn't stop until NATO - without any "authorization" from the United Nations - used military power and the threat of U.S. ground forces to impose a peace. NATO peacekeepers have been on the ground ever since, but at least the bloodshed has stopped. Sometimes, war is a necessary evil, and the only way to do the right thing.

No comments: