Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Carthage
The Conchshell has written that were her life to ever be made into a movie, the glorious Ms. Parker Posey would assuredly portray her. The only rational reaction to this is sudden and unspeakable violence.

As Robert Heinlein wrote in his seminal novel Starship Troopers, "Ask the city fathers of Carthage if violence ever solved anything." The implication is that you cannot ask the Carthaginians, as their city was wiped from the face of the earth and the ground salted by the victorious Romans. The movie Starship Troopers, while being an almost ideal guy movie, has many problems and is not a fair portrayal of the original novel, which is both intelligent and erudite. One thing the movie did well, though, was adopt the Carthage example. The line is changed to "Ask the city fathers of Hiroshima if violence ever solved anything." Unfortunately, many Americans are ignorant barbarians and know nothing of the fate of Carthage; by changing the example to Hiroshima, the movie's stewards have retained the spirit of the quote while also making it more accessible to the average imbecile. Good work.

There are levels of violence. If you simply annoy me, you get the proverbial brick to the face. If I merely hate you, I talk about fire and whether or not to help put said fire out; thus, "If Bill Clinton were on fire, I'd go get marshmellows." If I am so angry that I can't see straight, that's when I start talking about unspeakable violence. That's when I'm truly offended.


Blog-o-Rama
Recently, I have learned that two more of my friends maintain weblogs. Below are the blogs I check at least several times each week, often more than once each day.

Skeeter's Letters From the Pedestal
The Watergirl's Rant & Roar with The Watergirl
The Mountain of Love's The Mountain of Love
The Evil Princess's Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow
Neutral Man's Brad's Continuing Rant
The Flying Dutchman's Detour

You are of course reading The Last Angry Man's The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society

I'd read Saturday Night Latham's untitled blog if it was more than just a big tease. The same goes for Daddy Dylweed's Transmissions From the Obscure.

Crap
Neil Diamond

H-A-N
Have a tragic night.

No comments: