Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Buddy Christ
Sunday night, the Mountain and I watched Saved! On Monday, both as an experiment and seeking refuge from NPR pledge week, I listened to my local Christian rock radio station. Holy balls! O my brothers, I believe that if I escape the fires of Hell that I so richly deserve, it will only be by the Grace of God Almighty. But that said, I just don't get these people. During my brief tenure with the Cult (way back in 1999), they often spoke of accepting Jesus as "your personal lord and savior." Personal? Are you people insane? Jesus is God. One God in three persons, which means Jesus is just as much God as God or the Holy Ghost. Not just a god, like Zeus or Odin or Bog, but God. God God. Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ, who suffered died, and was buried; who rose again on the third day; who ascended bodily into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father, is God. God as in "'Let there be light!' and there was light." The God who called the entire universe into existence with a word. That's who Jesus is. How in the high holy hell can I have a personal relationship with Him? That kind of power scares me, but I trust God. So I feel no fear before Him, but I still have tremendous respect for Him. No, not respect, but awe. Awe breeds distance. Awe puts a little kink in the Evangelical idea of a personal relationship with the Almighty. I'm Catholic, I do not refer to Jesus as if He were a friend of mine, I do not think of Him as a friend of mine, and I do not understand those you do.

Also, Christian top forty sucks just as badly as heathen top forty.

Vote For Kodos
An update to the informal, unscientific survey of front yard political signs in my neighborhood:
Bush-Cheney: 10
Kerry-Edwards: 6

Best license plate of the day: MOONBOY

No comments: