Friday, October 8, 2004

The End of Flogging Molly
I think last night's debacle can best be explained through the "B.A.P.F.Lives" review I've written for The Newsletter. I started composing it last night during the show, and I think it sez everything important about the evening's unfortunate events.

B.A.P.F. Lives

Flogging Molly w/Street Dogs and The Briggs

Thursday, October 7, 2004; the State Theater, Detroit, Michigan. Attendee: Mike Wilson.

Going to a rock show by yourself is entirely different than solo moviegoing. The cinema is, after all, a solitary experience once the lights dim; shows are by their nature group activities. No man is an island, but since I regard myself as an isolated peninsula, I was not about to let my solitude stop the rock.

The only noteworthy thing about The Briggs is that their drummer had a massive and truly excellent Mohawk. The band was so innovative and anti-conformist that they made a point of highlighting their song about pirates. Wow, way to be original.

Streets Dogs (what, you chodes are too good for "The"?) were dressed like a low-rent Flogging Molly and sounded like a poor man's Dropkick Murphys, only terrible. My one piece of advice is this: if your best piece of stagecraft is to ask the crowd to rhythmically thrust their fists into the air and chant "Go!" during every single song, it might be time to reconsider the whole "being a band" thing.

Between Street Dogs and Molly, we were treated to a propaganda film featuring Will Ferrell as George W. Bush and hosted by an unidentified man wearing a T-shirt bearing W's face and the words "International Terrorist." Apparently, the whole concert was just a front for an anti-Bush (not pro-Kerry, anti-Bush) group called Punk Voter. Because punk rock is all about political indoctrination.

I missed the vast majority of Flogging Molly's set. Front man Dave King dedicated the second song to Michael Moore, and as soon as I heard those words I headed for the door. I'm a big fan of free speech, but I bought my ticket expecting a rock show, not a political rally. It will be a cold day in Hell before I ever see another Flogging Molly show. MW
The one thing I would like to add is that the disrespect they showed toward the audience was staggering. I feel used and taken advantage of, as if they couldn't have cared less whether or not they put on an entertaining show. Less Than Jake has very strong political views with which I almost entirely disagree, but their show is always for and about the kids; last night's Flogging Molly debacle was about the gratification of the band, and that's a side of rock 'n' roll I cannot and will not support. Farewell, Flogging Molly, you won't be missed.

H-A-N
Have a trippy night.

No comments: