Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Vote For Kodos
The Bush-Cheney 2004 sign that was in our yard is gone. Sometime between when I left for the Palace at 5:20 and my return at 11:15, it was stolen. I see two possibilities: politically motivated theft or vandalism. I pray it is vandalism, because Lord knows that in my time, I stole my fair share of political signs (and dumped them all on Mr. Edwards's yard), and kids will be kids from now 'til Kingdom Come. Vandalism is annoying, but nothing more. If some Kerry or Nader supporter stole it to silence our right to political speech, well, that is something entirely different. I hate the overuse of "slippery slope," but I do not think it is as long a road as we would hope from stealing a sign from somebody's lawn, to tearing a sign out of their hands, to taking a swing at them when they voice an opinion different than your own. It is one thing to ignore each other, but quite another to actively attempt to silence each other.

By the way, when I cited six Bush-Cheney signs in my neighborhood to two Kerry-Edwards signs, I was not counting our sign. To be accurate then, before it was stolen, the count was seven to two.

H-A-N
Take the night off.

No comments: