Sunday, March 21, 2004

Big Dance
My "St. Louis" bracket could not have been worse: I was wrong on all four Sweet Sixteen teams. Ouch. However, overall I'm not doing that badly, as I was correct in eight of the total sixteen picks and three of my Final Four picks are still intact. My "Atlanta" (What chode decided to name the regions after the host cities? Gah, this is retarded.) bracket is kind of pretty, as the only mistake was picking Mississippi State over Xavier. I should have respected the power of the X. Editorially speaking, let me say two things: 1) Tubby Smith and his Wildcats can go to Hell and 2) between 'Bama and UAB, when did the State of Alabama learn to play ball?

Planet X
Sedna is not a planet. You want to know why? Because the word "Sedna" comes from an Inuit goddess. Bullroar. All the planets and most of the other celestial objects in this solar system (moons, asteroids, etc.) are named after figures from the Greco-Roman pantheon. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto; Phobos, Deimos, Io, Europa, Callisto, Ganymede, Iapetus, Phoebe, Pan, Hyperion, Prometheus, Epimetheus, Rhea, Titan, Mimas, Titania, Proteus, Triton, Charon; Ceres, Eros, Vesta, Pallas, Psyche. Or, as a curiosity, most of the myriad moons of Uranus are named after Shakespearean characters. So, Sedna is a fine planetoid (Hey, how ya doin'? Nice to meet'cha. Welcome to the solar system.), but not by any means a planet.

Doom Monkey
The two best words in the English language are monkey (still the king!) and doom. So, if only I could somehow harness their combined power, I'd be nigh unstoppable.

No comments: