Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Song of the Week
Apropos of both last weekend's birthday and this weekend's sojourn, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, "Leaving on a Jet Plane" from Have A Ball (originally by the late, great John Denver).

A short skirt,
A Gimmes shirt,
A Jones Soda,
Ain't life grand?

Pete Foster talking about Margaret Eastman? Is he still hopelessly in love with Noel Kincaid, or is he now hopelessly in love with Margaret? I really need to do some serious work on the outline for In Search of the Perfect Lesbian. Maybe just plot it as "In Search of the Perfect Lesbian" and get it done as a short story before I go any farther. Walk before I run.

One of the ideas I've always had in the back of my head is that in the course of Margaret's pursuit of Kari Putterman, where Pete serves as Sancho Panza to her Don Quixote, Pete will get over his long-festering love for Noel. And then Margaret and Pete realize they are pretty perfect for each other. I am of two minds about this. On the one hand, that seems way too easy. On the other hand, stranger things have happened and they already fight like a married couple. On the gripping hand, since Pete Foster is, among all the kids in the Rebel Black Dot Society, the most direct avatar of myself, maybe he is just destined to be alone forever. (Fuck you, I just had my brithday, I'm allowed to sulk.)

The Queue*
Bernard Goldberg, Arrogance
Michael Ledeen and William Lewis, Debacle
Sarah Vowell, The Partly Cloudy Patriot *IN PROGRESS*
Steve Martin, Shopgirl
Thomas P.M. Barnett, The Pentagon's New Map
Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch
Tobias Wolff, This Boy's Life
Tobias Wolff, Old School
Lucinda Rosenfeld, Why She Went Home *reread*
Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote *pipe dream*
pretty much everything by Alistair MacLean
ditto Leslie Charteris

*"The Queue" consists solely of books I have at my immediate disposal. The all-time list of books I have always meant to read is nigh endless.

No comments: