Saturday, September 11, 2004

I'm conflicted about last night's game. On the one hand, it's always good when Florida State loses (no offense meant to the Professor). On the other hand, it's never good when Miami of Florida wins. Whenever any of the Florida schools play each other (Miami-Florida State, Florida State-Florida, Florida-Miami), the only thing I can root for is the Comet. "The Comet" means that the only outcome with which I would satisfied is if a comet (or other meteor, I'm not picky) were to fall out of the heavens, crash into the stadium, and annihilate both teams. Go Comet!

Michigan State just missed a field goal against Central Michigan. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha! Let's go Chippewas, do it just like Rutgers!

It seems like every year a bigger and bigger deal is made out of the NFL season. Make no mistake, I love the NFL. I have supreme confidence that my beloved Lions will never make it to, much less win, a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to prove me wrong. Honolulu Blue and Silver forever! But as much as I like the NFL, it's not the college game. The Fall is the best four months of the year, primarily because of the college game. I love college football. There are so many teams and so many kids and it's great! I admire guys you can make a career in the NFL, and be the cornerstone of a team for a decade, but what's truly great about college football is how little time a kid has to make an impression. You've got two seasons, three if you're lucky. Get it done and you win the loyalty of ten of thousands of alumni for years (Charles Woodson will always ALWAYS be the man); screw us an win eternal infamy (I sincerely want Drew Henson to suffer a Joe Theisman-style career-ending injury, complete with bones sticking out of his leg). College football is the best thing in the world.

What I really like about Northwestern's Ryan Field is that it looks like a high school stadium. Neat!

And remember, don't be a cretin: the plural form of stadium is stadia. "Stadiums" is not a word.

No comments: