Tuesday, December 23, 2003

A common axiom states, "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." A less familiar collorary asks, "If winning doesn't matter, why keep score?"

The Mountain of Love and the Conchshell are playing Scrabble without keeping score. I am by nature an extremely competitive individual.* I don't understand why you would ever play a game without keeping score. If you don't care who wins or loses, you might as well do something else, like read or make out. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, that's why we have games in the first place. If you are not interested in either of those things, why are you playing a game at all?

*So competitive, in fact, that I will freely acknowledge that under my captaincy and with my support, the Genesee County All-Stars played an extremely dirty game. I do not deny nor hide this fact; water polo, even innertube water polo, is a violent game. You don't like it, play something else. About the All-Stars, I could be accurately quoted as saying "My first and last concern is winning."

Tomorow, I get to sleep in for the first time in eight days! Shut up, it's a big deal to me. You don't know, dude, not having weekends sucks ass.

Well, I'm off to amuse the kiddies; they're bored with their non-competitive Scrabble.

No comments: