Thursday, September 23, 2004

I had a very weird dream this morning. I was in some kind of boarding school, and a Finnish princess (Finland is a republic, not a monarchy, by the way) told me she was in love with me. I told her that we should at least go on a date before we decide if we're in love, but she was certain she was in love with me. The next moment, with no preamble, I was driving an Aston-Martin Vanquish. Because it's a British car, I was sitting on the right side of the car. Instead of a steering wheel, there was a yoke, like on a large commercial aeroplane, and it was mounted precisely in between the two front seats. Skeeter was sitting in the left hand seat, and as I was driving at an unsafe speed, she reminded me that the car is a stick-shift and that I don't know how to drive a stick-shift. Promptly, I burned out the transmission and we came to a complete stop. That's when I woke up. Whatever happened to the Finnish princess?

The League of Nations
Robert Mugabe, the de facto dictator of Zimbabwe, spoke before the UN General Assembly today and criticized the invasion of Iraq. Given that Mugabe is president-for-life in all but name, that the last several elections in Zimbabwe have been blatantly rigged, and that his reverse-Apartheid program has changed Zimbabwe from the breadbasket of Africa into a net-importer of food, I would call his condemnation a ringing endorsement of American policy. If Mugabe's against it, it must be a good idea. Once again, Kofi Annan has been relatively silent on the plight of Zimbabwe, as Mugabe's thugs kick white farmers off their land and beat and kill any blacks who stand up for the white landowners. Once again, the moral authority of the United Nations in action.

Why in Bog's name hasn't President Bush called for Annan's resignation? I anyone can honestly defend his record as Secretary-General, please speak up in the comments section. There may be positive actions that I am overlooking, though it seems unlikely.

H-A-N
Have a clean night.

No comments: