Monday, September 6, 2004

I Miss the 20th Century
Hey, do you remember when Steven Spielberg didn't suck? Yeah, those were good days. I used to proudly describe Mr. Spielberg as one of our finest filmmakers, and he was responsible for some of my favorite films of all time: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1985), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), Jaws (1975), Schindler's List (1993), Empire of the Sun (1987), Hook (1991), Saving Private Ryan (1998). But, the twenty-first century has severely marred his legacy. Spielberg has not directed a decent film in the entire third millennium: A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), Minority Report (2002), Catch Me If You Can (2002), and The Terminal (2004). To be fair, I haven't seen The Terminal, but given the advertisements I've seen and Spielberg's modern track record, it would take a significant bribe to inspire me to see it. I do not in any way hate Mr. Spielberg, but his name is no longer any iducement to see a film. Any of his films that I will see in the future, I will see despite his attachment to the project, not because of it.

No comments: