Thursday, January 30, 2003

"I have an important message for all the cute people all over the world... there's a lot more of us ugly motherfuckers than you are. So watch out." --Frank Zappa*

A Good E. Bag Thursday Miracle!
For Blue Tree Whacking Day this year, we gave special dispensation to have Good E. Bag Wednesday on a day other than Wednesday; thus, we celebrated the world's first Good E. Bag Thursday. Guy Zach Nie! gave me a copy of Daniel Quinn's After Dachau. I was asked to read a passage from a random page. As it suited my fancy, I read the passage in the "NFL Films" voice I used on "Cleveland Municipal Stadium" from RCY's Good or Suck! I randomly opened the book to page 82, eighty-two being my favorite number. Then, when I started to read aloud, came the real miracle.
"Oh. I see. Yes." She sat there for a moment looking dazed. Then: "I remember once we had chicken necks."
"Chicken necks?"
"We were poor."
"This was when you were growing up?"
"Yeah."
"Where was this?"
"In Cleveland."

Holy Toledo, Batman! Spooky. And that, as immediately declared by no lesser authority that Zach Nie! himself, was a true Good E. Bag Thursday Miracle!

2003 Genesee County All-Stars
With the regular season now over, our roster is set. Here then are your 2003 Genesee County All-Stars, those young heroes who will give the last full measure of devotion to once again claim the precious Intramural Champions T-shirts.
Jon Barkey - co-captain; Powers
Mike Wilson - co-captain; Grand Blanc
Ben Purman - Powers
Eric "Sal" Salenski - Grand Blanc
Kevin Martel - Powers
Tony Palmer - Powers
Adam "Lube" Lubert - Grand Blanc
Dave Anderson - Grand Blanc
Brian "G" Godlesky - Powers
David "the Bald Mountain" Wilson - Grand Blanc
Andy "Keanu" Quijano - Powers
Tad Lippencott - Powers

Of course, I would be remiss in not mentioning our departed hole man and the emotional core of the team, Jason Emeott (Grand Blanc), finally lost to the allure of the real world. With Barkey, Purman, and I, Jay founded the All-Stars, and it was his tireless enthusiasm that turned mere boys into champions. You may not be able to play anymore, Jay, but the T-shirts will belong to you as much as to us.

*I quoted Mr. Zappa last night to Lindsay. Her immediate reaction was, "You aren't ugly." Sigh, thank you, I know, but neither am I one of the cute people and... gah, nevermind. I'm going to go read "The Masque of the Red Death" and then watch The Simpsons.

No comments: