Saturday, January 4, 2003

Wow, I would not have thought myself capable of such joy at an Ohio State victory. Huh. The important thing here is that the Big (11) Ten has brought home a second national champioship in five years, and that Michigan's last loss of the season was a close game against the eventual national champions. Ohio State was able to hang with fucking Miami, the best team in the country for the last three seasons, and that makes us and the rest of the conference look good. Sincerely, I hope Ken Dorsey's arm isn't too screwed up, because the kid's got a future in the pros; the same for McGahee's knee.

"Keep your eyes open and you might change your mind": I used to hate all three Florida schools. Miami because they talked shit, Florida State because they were as criminal as Tom Osbourne's Nebraska, and Florida because of Spurrier. Spurrier's gone, but I still hate Florida (who doesn't?); I took great glee in Georgia's mauling of the Seminoles for FSU's fifth (hurray!) loss of the year; yet, having recovered from the NCAA recruiting restrictions of the early '90s, I find nothing at all to dislike about Miami. They are respectful and hardworking, and if they walk with a certain swagger it's only because they are in fact that good. So, my rooting for OSU was not hatred for Miami, but desire for the advancement of the Big (11) Ten.

Congratulations to my uncle, Dr. Bob Little; high school bud Rich Fouts; and Pat "Woody" Oakes, the man to see if you want to hold a kick-ass pig roast in Grand Blanc.

(I'm so afraid of Mauirce Clarett right now. The stripping on the ball after the interception in the end zone? That's one of the smartest plays I've seen in the whole of my life.)

No comments: