Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril!


The A-OKs, "Jessiska" from Words Are Not for Eating (The Last Angry Man)

Skammentary: Have I mentioned that most ska-punk songs about romance are bitter & resentful? If I haven't, they are. "Jessiska" is part & parcel of that convention.

Kudos to The A-OKs for the wordplay in the title, "Jessiaka" warming our black hearts alongside SKApril & skammentary. (All credit to the Skatalites, which I've always presumed is a misspelling of ska + satellite.) Anywho:
"Now I'm not saying she's wrong in her ways,
But she talks for days,
And it's never good.
And I'm not one to doubt that you're Don Juan,
But maybe you're wrong,
And it's her attitude.

"Well, she better be funnier and she better be quick,
'Cause she's first in line for the ugly stick,
And in the end the lesson's learned:
You fall in love and you're gonna get burned…"
The A-OKs were recommended to me during SKApril '15 by Professor Ragnarok. Keep those nominations coming, & don't stop skanking!

No comments: