Friday, April 24, 2020

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKApril X


The Hippos, "Far Behind" from Heads Are Gonna Roll (Rude Boy Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary: The Hippos are SKApril All-Stars, meaning they have furnished a song in all ten editions of SKApril. I didn't just do a double take when I realized "Far Behind" was still available, but a triple take, because "Far Behind" is on both of The Hippos' ska albums, Heads Are Gonna Roll & Forget the World. "Far Behind" is quintessential third-wave ska-punk: romance gone wrong, disenchantment with both fame & fortune, a catchy rhythm, & blaring horns.
"I stand too tall,
But I shrink away,
I never thought
I could feel as good
As the way I feel today,
So I run away,
'Cause things aren't quite going my way!
So I run away,
'Cause things aren't quite going my way!

"And when I turned on M.T.V.
I saw just what I wanted to be,
But that was yesterday
And things aren't quite going my way…"

No comments: